Monday, January 30, 2006

Click to enlarge-->






The Wenaha Raft Trip

It has been a fantasy of mine to raft the wild Wenaha River. I have a three man raft purchased at tri-state and some oars and am ready to make this happen this spring. To my surprise some of my dear friends seem interested in this endeavor. My ole fish and game boss said that it could probably be done (or maybe I just asked her if it was legal), but why? Why do people climb rainier? Why do people go sled riding on cafeteria trays?

Anyways, the trip can happen whenever the road on top of the Wenaha opens up typically in Mid-may. Usually, the good folks at the Troy, Oregon Shilo Inn have some info about when the road opens. Also, I know I have seen Fed-Ex up on top the canyon, so maybe we can call them. Two cars will be needed as one will park at Troy where the wenaha meets the Grande Ronde. The other car would shuttle the rafters to the top of Hoodoo Trail. Maybe an overnight camp at the Hoodoo with some Brew-doo and in the morning then take the ~2 mile hike down with the deflated raft and some gear including my battery powered inflater. If the party grows bigger than three some other boats will need to be acquired, perhaps small rafts rented from the Outdoor Rec center at WSU.

Anyway, there it is a plan? Any questions?

P.S. It is about a 2.45 hour drive from Pullman to Troy, OR.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home