Monday, September 12, 2005


No Post .

Yesterday one the first 9/11 anniversary that I really remember pondering about what happened that day on the East Coast. I was really tempted to make a post, but in a way I didn't want to post anything on the topic. I think my focus on terrrorist issues and other American apocalyptica is result of that dang "Long Emergency Book" I read this Summer.

Although, I disagree with the author of the book, it was an enjoyable read (at some level?!) and I still check his online journal every now and then. He pushes his rant harder and harder each time, and now he is claiming that the price of natural gas to heat America this coming winter along with other economic problems is going to crush this country just in time for the Christmas season. According to his figures, "natural gas was $3 dollars/1000 cu feet in 2003 and is around $12 dollars/unit at the present and the price could climb to over $15 dollars/unit."

Some of the stuff he writes about concerning the end of oil economy sounds nice (if you mentally delelete the peroid of chaos and anarchy) such as, leading your donkey drawn wagon into town to sell the produce from your garden watching Wal mart and Mcdonalds culture disintegrate into ruins, while we dance around the nuclear reactor...wait, what?

Any way this stuff was making me worried about even thinking about moving to the south. The book noted the strong connection between guns and religion in the region that translates into something like rebel vigilante-ism in the event of a crisis. Anyways, I am not waisting time on this fear anymore. If I move to North Carolina and the big Hurricane hits, my family will either survive or not. I will not live in fear because of what could happen. This seems easy until I consider that I never want my children to suffer unneccesary pain. You just can't be fearless when you gots kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home